OptiMate 5 12V Battery Charger / Optimiser
£61.66 £61.66 excluding VAT
£73.99 £73.99 including VAT
ID: 19890OptiMate 5 Motorcycle Battery Charger and Tester
Free UK Deliveryon orders over £90
FINANCE AVAILABLEon UK orders over £500
OptiMate 5 12V Battery Charger / Optimiser
OptiMate 5 is the all-in-one tool for 12V battery care at home. OptiMate 5 has all the fully automatic 100% safe and easy-to-use characteristics of the 1.5 million OptiMates produced since 1995, but adds a powerful 4 Amp output to take care of larger batteries.
Forgot your battery throughout the winter? OptiMate 5 will recover it from deep discharge and optimally recharge it. Then it will check that the charge delivered is the best possible before checking how well the battery can retain the charge and tell you its status, at a glance. Of course, it will then maintain your battery at full charge safely for months at a time, prolonging its life by up to 400%.
How it works
1. Safety check: OptiMate 5 must be connected to a battery (retaining minimum 2V) to activate its output.
2. Desulphation and recovery: if due to sulphation the battery's resistance is abnormally high, a voltage of up to 20V is automatically applied to overcome this so as to recover very flat or neglected batteries until they are able to accept the normal charge program.
3. Bulk charge: a constant current of 4A efficiently brings the battery close to full charge.
4. Charge verification: as soon as the rising resistance causes the charge voltage to reach 14.3V, the voltage is limited at 13.6V for 30 minutes while the circuit monitors the actual voltage and the current absorbed by the battery. If within 30 minutes the automatic circuit judges that the achieved charge is less than optimal, the program reverts to bulk charge and the process repeats.
5. Charge retention test: when the monitored parameters confirm that an optimal charge has been achieved, the first check for battery (and connected system) power leakage commences. Depending on the voltage retained during 30 minutes, an "OK" (green LED) or "not OK" (red LED test result is displayed. These 30-minute test periods repeat hourly until the OptiMate 5 is disconnected, so that the battery status indication is continually updated.
6. Charge maintenance: during alternate 30 minute periods, at a float limit of 13.6V the battery is offered charge current (up to the maximum) it needs to sustain it against any small connected loads or power leakage and against natural self-discharge. OptiMate 5 can stay connected to the battery indefinitely and the battery will stay cool and safe. And optimally charged. Of course.
- Recommended for: AGM / MF, STD, GEL and spiral cell batteries from 15Ah to 192Ah
- Programme control: 5 stages, fully automatic
- Input current max: 0.35A @ 230V
- Typical annual energy cost: Less than £1.00 per year (continuous maintenance)
- Reverse drain current: Less than 1 mA
- Output current (bulk charge): 4A
- Automatic desulphation: Yes
- Charge time limit: Safe to leave connected for months
- Maintain / test cycles: 30 min/30 min (alternating hourly)
- Charge retention test: 2 possible results - ‘good’ & ‘bad’
- Size: 200 x 75 x 61mm
- Weight: 1000g
- Enclosure classification: IP54
- Mounting: Easy direct wall mounting
- Input cable length: 2m
- Output cable length: 2m
- Included Accessories: O11 Weatherproof Eyelet Lead; O4 Clamp Lead for bench charging
- Operation temperature range: -40°C / +50°C
- Warranty: 3 years
- Certification (230V model): TUV/GS conformity
Diagnoses, recovers, charges, checks & maintains your battery automatically for months. All major battery manufacturers recommend maintaining starter batteries FULLY CHARGED during periods of non-use. OptiMate 5 is totally safe for months-long connection and maintenance of irregularly or seasonally used batteries even while still connected to the vehicle. The sophisticated charging algorithm ensures no risk of over-charging.
Suitable for all types of rechargeable 12V lead-acid batteries: filler cap types; absorbed glass mat (AGM or "MF"); valve regulated (VRLA); GEL-electrolyte. As simple as 1-2-3: Just connect OptiMate 5 to your battery, the rest is automatic. Electronically protected against user errors. There is no switch, no fuse and there are no sparks.
Delivered with two interchangeable SAE connection sets, one with clamps for bench charging, the other with in-line protection fuse and eyelet terminals for permanent connection to the vehicle’s battery to allow easy reconnection of charger when necessary.
Optional accessories include additional fused permanent connection leads (O1); cigarette lighter plug lead (O2) to charge via the cigarette lighter or DIN socket (as found on some BMW, Honda& Triumph touring motorcycles); 1.8m and 4.6m extension leads, weatherproof sockets to provide a convenient 12V supply for sat-nav, MP3 player, mobile phone charger, PDA etc. and much more.
Certifications: TUV/GS conformity. 3-year warranty.